Friday, November 15, 2013

Amanda River "Accidents happen"


When you have a special needs child you always need to stay one step ahead of the game. I have always thought that I was ahead until this week when Tristan surprised me. He is five years old and not aware of how dangerous eating something can really be to him, even though we have talked to him numerous times about the possible reactions that could happen if he did have something he should not. 
This week Tristan took a “gummy” from another child in the cafeteria. Now it was not a severe reaction, but he did have some obvious issues after that. I did not know until he came home clearing his throat. I had to ask him myself if he was ok and why was he clearing his throat. Tristan told me his friend gave him a “gummy’, he took it and ate it because it looked just like the ones that he normally eats. I explained to him that he should not take anything from anyone unless it is what I or his father packed for lunch or the snacks that his teacher has for him. Tristan was in tears thinking that he was in trouble or it was going to hurt him more. Luckily a little Benadryl and some water helped his throat clear up. 
Now I have realized I can not expect all of the school staff to watch him like a hawk and it hurts that I am not there with him. I want him to feel as normal as he can be even if it means a few accidents and reactions here and there. I can’t help but think; could the next reaction be worse? I pray it is not, and I will continue to make sure he knows not to take anything from anyone. Unfortunately I feel that I can not and will not put my child in a bubble. I will not shelter him and scare him for the rest of his life. It is hard knowing that I can not be by his side every day for the rest of his life. I worry daily but I can not have this disease consume and ruin our lives. We are not going to let something like this run our entire world. This situation just taught me that I truly can not always be there and I can not keep him from experiencing the world around him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment